Saturday, May 7, 2011

Meal Planning

Okay, I am asking for a little help from all 16 of you readers. :)

I plan our meals every week so it's easier to get groceries and stick to our budget, but we are getting a little tired of the current line-up.  Here are some things to know:

1. Our kitchen is quite limited. We only have two stove burners, a crockpot, and no oven or microwave.

2. Meat-wise, we are pretty much limited to chicken and ground beef. Other meats (steak, roast beef, pork, even sausage/bacon) are either hard to find or really expensive.

3. We have great access to the huge outdoor market here (fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, nuts, etc.) but very little access to customary American products (i.e. cream of chicken/mushroom soup, boxed meals, etc.)

All of that to say, I've had to be quite creative to vary up our meals a bit. Here are our staples: pasta (with ground beef, meatballs, parmasean chicken, or sauteed chicken); chicken wings (Zach's fav); chicken and dumplins; chicken noodle soup; baked chicken (on the stove); chili; chicken tortilla soup; burrito bowls; chicken quesadillas; taco soup; meatball subs; homemade mac and cheese; roast chicken in crockpot; bbq chicken sandwiches. That may seem like quite a few options, but I just feel like I am running out of ways to cook chicken! We of course add vegetables and side dishes to these, but that is the easy part.

Here is where you come in. Do you have any easy, wonderful recipes for chicken/ground beef that you make on the stove or crockpot? I am dying to try something new. You can post it here or send me an email and I guarantee we'll give it a shot. :)

And by the way, I think we'll be getting a small oven over the summer. Praise the Lord!

6 comments:

  1. Sending an attachment by email, as I don't have a clue how to post documents or websites to this post. Enjoy! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just sent you an email to kelsey.s.tunney@gmail.com

    Is that your current email? If not, please let me know what it is and I'll re-send it.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might also want to look at www.thepioneerwoman.com

    It's a great website for recipes and the photos are amazing of every step of the recipe. You can also enter ingredients you might have on hand (in the search) and it will find recipes. I hope you can find something helpful and delicious on that website. Everything we have tried has been yummy.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelsey! I agree with Nancy about the Pioneer Woman. There's some good stuff there. Also, I found this site a couple of years ago. It's all crock pot recipes, but I really love the section called 6 items or less, because my pantry is usually not very stocked. I wonder, too, if we could find you a recipe to make something similar to cream of chicken/mushroom soup that you could use in recipes?

    Be blessed!
    Marla

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, you'll actually need the link to the site! Sorry about that!

    http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm

    ReplyDelete
  6. kelsey, this website will totally help you! http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete