Monday, March 21, 2011

Na Nach Nachma Nachman Me Uman

Since Kels has been putting me to shame in blog post frequency yet again, I figured I had to share a story that is a few weeks old now.

A little while back, Kels, Charis, and I were walking through the market near our home when a van with an interesting picture on the side of a man who looked vaguely like Santa Claus drove by very slowly blasting weird Hebrew techno music.  As we watched confusedly, the driver of the van pulled over and a few young Orthodox Jews, looking like they had spent the prior 48 hours on a pot-smoking binge and dressed in all white rather than the traditional black, hopped out and started dancing wildly in the street.  Instead of seeing the mystified look on my own face reflected on the faces of the other Israelis standing on the street, I saw smiles creep across and in a couple cases people actually joined in the dancing.

It turns out, this was a sect known as the "Na-Nachs," who have a pretty interesting history.  Since we saw the van, we have noticed graffiti throughout the city reflecting the group's rallying cry of sorts:
"נ נח נחמ נחמן מאומן" ("Na Nach Nachma Nachman Me Uman," after the famous leader of the sect who hailed from Uman, Ukraine).  So I duly did my research, but obligatory Wikipedia reference pages aren't the point of this post.  The song is.  Kels and I have become obsessed, and not in a good way.  The song is terrible.  But really, really hard to get out of your head.  View at your own peril.


4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I listened to like 3 seconds of that song and had to turn it off, because it would for sure be in my head for a while! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zach - I'm coming out of the closet as one of your blog stalkers! I found link on your mom's facebook page and check in with you from time to time! Ok...in all honesty, I want to say..."See that smart boy who made a 100 on his first grad school exam, who writes so well, who knows how to think, who is such a loving husband and father, who loves the Lord...See that boy? Well, I taught him in the 3rd grade" Ok...yes, that might be a tad bit prideful since you knew how to think well long before I became your teacher! Anyway, I'm so glad you and Kelsey are bloggin! :) Donna Gilson Leadford

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually heard this before, but I didn't know the history behind it. Yes, you are right, it is quite catchy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This song is actually a song by Romanian pop group with the words changed. :)

    Here is the Romanian version (There is a Santa Clause appearance at 1:23)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRx5PrAlUdY

    And the English version
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6C2DU6mr90&feature=fvst

    Its also know as the Numa Numa song. :)

    ReplyDelete